Engineering Solutions for Musculoskeletal and Cardiovascular Disease
As we age, our musculoskeletal and cardiovascular systems degenerate; impairing mobility, ability to work, and quality of life. Yet our expectations for health, activity and wellbeing in the second 50 years of life are increasing.
WELMEC, a Wellcome Trust and EPSRC funded Centre of Excellence in Medical Engineering, researches and develops new types of intervention for musculoskeletal and cardiovascular systems, providing biological and biomechanical functionality by harnessing the regenerative potential of patient’s own cells.
By addressing a series of clinical
innovation challenges with over
200 academics, industrialists and
clinicians, our vision is to develop:
- longer lasting joint replacements for the hip, knee and spine
- novel regenerative biological scaffolds for degenerative joint tissues and cardiovascular surgery
- advances in cell therapies using a patient's own cells
- advances in medical imaging to facilitate earlier diagnosis and intervention
- novel protein biosensors for disease diagnosis and improved patient targeting